Market to Service tracks us from the process of finding where your product would fit, into the Market, to delivering and transitioning it into Service.
- in the future, or
- too late for the market.
Reporting to a Programme Director or Executive Board, a business or marketing analyst.
Work needs to be time boxed, as the right skillset can have an innate ability to explore.
How do your ideas transition to products and into service on this 8 step journey?
As a precursor, You will need to set up your Governance for the end to end process and the policies and practices to protect the organisation.
You need to start with the market, making sure that the products are aligned to a mission and within the business need / case that sits within a clear strategy and Vision.
This will provide a Portfolio of ideas that pass through a selection matrix leading to programmes and projects that transition to service
Accepting that process for now, the Market analysis is key to identify possibilities, product outlines, risks and opportunities.
This process starts to develop a continuous fact finding and assessment phase that leads to a clear Strategy.
Initial pilots may help build the Strategy
A business case, risk log, and high level plan is being sketched as you go and will support the decision making in Portfolio Management – at a high level
Initial Governance and emerging Strategy, will get to a point where the selection of ideas will germinate the first projects.
Placing products in context of a project with clear targets, gives steps and stages not a slide into service.
- Products that develop along that process are supported, to prevent market failure.
- The project may succeed, but the business does not. Everything must be in context and balanced across the organisation.
In parallel, we will:
- Review Governance approach for the business. There is likely to be a precedent that has been set for all reporting, portfolio management, strategy reviews, change management, risk, configuration, communication and quality policies…
- We will review these with Senior Management / teams to recommend the extent of any change.
- Revise the RACI framework. RACI is composed of 4 different roles – R (responsible), A (accountable), C (consult), I (inform). Ultimately this will help control the processes across the whole organisation covering investment, strategy, portfolio management, project and programme management, service management. Ideally all the operational areas – finance, marketing, sales and other functions will create their RACIs and the whole organisation will have processes set at the appropriate level.
- Create the embryo of product, service and business requirements. This will feed internal business demand and define the strategy segment targets / vision, which generates your roadmap.
- alignment of internal and external markets
- clear market analysis
- an initial understanding of what the business might need.
The inquisitive Human nature will always jump to the solution. However, we still need the discipline to create the individual components, stages, steps, gates which will come together to align the targets for your organisation.
About the Author
Bob’s background in Programme and Project Management, covers 25 years delivering and improving for profit, in leading edge technology across AI in the 90’s, Satellite communication, Going Digital, Change Management to Cloud.